For this, Pirsonal uses Google Analytic’s Universal Analytics, also known as UA.
In this article, you’ll learn how the Google Analytics integration works, and how to start using it so that you can use individualized video views information to make better marketing decisions.
Things you should know before you start
- In order to use Pirsonal’s integration with Google Analytics, you need to have a Google Analytics account.
- Pirsonal does not store Google Analytics events data.
- The connection with Google Analytics works on a per template basis, not at an account level.
- Before you launch a video personalization campaign, make sure to test that your Google Analytics account is receiving data from Pirsonal Player.
Steps to Connect Pirsonal with a Google Analytics account
There are different ways to add a Google Analytics connection to Pirsonal depending on the product you are consuming.
In order to connect your Google Analytics account with a personalized video template or with an interactive video project, you need to provide a valid Google Analytics tracking ID (example: UA-12345678-1).
Adding the tracking ID through a Pirsonal Player Project
If you want to add a Universal Analytics ID to a Pirsonal Player Project, follow these steps:
- Open an existing Project.
- On the left menu, click on “Scripts”.
- There, you’ll find the Google Analytics field.
- Add your Universal Analytics ID (UA-XXXXXXXX-X)
- Click the save button
Adding the tracking ID using Pirsonal API
If you are using Pirsonal’s API to create personalized videos, interactive videos and dynamic landing pages use:
- Template_New to create a new template and attach a Google Analytics tracking ID by filling the GATrackingCode string.
- Template_Update to update an existing template by providing a Google Analytics tracking ID the GATrackingCode string.
Adding the tracking ID using Pirsonal API Test tool
You can also use the API Test tool to update an existing template with the Google Analytics tracking ID. Follow these steps:
- Go to API Test in the API documentation
- Your Account ID and Account Secret credentials will be automatically populated. You can also manually add them.
- In the method dropdown, select “Template Update”
- Add the templateID. To find the template ID, follow these steps: Go to Template > Find the template you need > Click on the Action menu (three dots) > Click on Info
- Now, find the following field “GATrackingCode” and paste your tracking ID there.
- Now, click “Execute” to save the change.
- Test this update by accessing a video from this template using Pirsonal Player or Pirsonal Pages and verifying that the data is sent to Google Analytics (in real time).
Where to find your Google Analytics Tracking ID
- Sign in to your Analytics account.
- Click Admin.
- Select an account from the menu in the ACCOUNT column.
- Select a property from the menu in the PROPERTY column.
- Under PROPERTY, click Tracking Info > Tracking Code.Your Tracking ID is displayed at the top of the page.
Event data sent to Google Analytics
Pirsonal will send event data to Google Analitycs on a per video ID basis.
This is the information tracked:
- Percentage of video viewed
- Volume change
- Number of times the CTA has been displayed
- Number of times the CTA has been closed
- When the CTA has been requested by the user
- Geolocation information